Thursday 17 March 2016

St Patrick's Day 1916 and now




St Patrick's Day one hundred years ago in 1916 was celebrated with sports days, race meetings, socials, parades and, of course, visits to the local hotel for a Guinness - most likely men only there. See a selection below for some of the 1916 events. Most places in Queensland had a public holiday for St Patrick's Day back then - sounds like a good idea to me, perhaps we could bring the holiday back?

1916 'ST. PATRICK'S SOCIAL.', The Bundaberg Mail and Burnett Advertiser (Qld. : 1892 - 1917), 16 March, p. 3. , viewed 17 Mar 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article215651608


1916 'Advertising', The Evening Telegraph (Charters Towers, Qld. : 1901 - 1921), 21 January, p. 3. , viewed 17 Mar 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article212815145

1916 'Advertising', Daily Mercury (Mackay, Qld. : 1906 - 1954), 29 February, p. 6. ,
viewed 17 Mar 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article172299477
My maternal grandmother, Dorothy May, always had corned beef and cabbage for dinner on St Patrick's Day. This tradition was handed down from her Dublin-born grandmother, Elizabeth Hannah. Apparently her grandmother told her that in Ireland they had boiled bacon and cabbage but that corned beef was an appropriate substitute for Australia. This tradition was carried on in my childhood and also during my married life. As I live alone now that particular tradition has gone, and I do miss the corned beef.

St Patrick's Day - 17 March 2016 - has added meaning this year. While I have always celebrated Paddy's Day by wearing a brooch I purchased in Ireland with shamrocks inside, this year the day has special meaning. You see, my mother Patricia Dorothea passed away on St Patrick's day in 2015. I can't believe it is twelve months since her passing - I think of her every day and continue to have conversations with her.

So happy St Patrick's Day to all, especially if you have Irish heritage.


May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

An Old Irish Blessing from IrioshCentral


1 comment:

  1. You have reminded me of the St Patrick's Day sports we used have in Sydney. I was an unwilling participant but enjoyed going along to support others from my school

    ReplyDelete