Wednesday 7 August 2019

DNA journey

I cannot believe that I haven't posted on my blog since 2016. I must have been having too much fun in my life! The most important issue in my family history journey at the moment is DNA. 

I am looking forward to the DNA Downunder seminar in Brisbane on the 14th August thanks to the Unlock the Past crew. The DNA guru Blaine Bettinger from the USA is the main speaker at the seminar & I'm sure my head will be spinning at the end of a very full day. Blaine's new book The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy (Second Edition) has now arrived in Australia, should be a good read as it's updated from the 2016 edition. DNA is certainly a fast-moving affair.

I visited my 96-year-old cousin from the Clarence Valley after last Easter, I administer his DNA kit and found Ray fascinated with the results. Ray's son & daughter were also interested in the DNA. Having already researched the Connor side of Ray's family - as it's also my tree of course - I spent some enjoyable time researching his maternal line. Only to find that Ray has three ancestors who arrived on the Second Fleet. How lucky can he be? Second Fleet. I thought I was the early arrival part of the family, my earliest being Peter McCann who arrived on the 11th January 1800 onboard the Minerva. None of the Connor sides has any convict ancestors that I have found so far, no wonder Ray was as pleased as punch.


No comments:

Post a Comment