Tuesday 6 October 2015

After the conference ...

For those not in Brisbane or in Queensland the In Time and Place conference - Family, Local and Social History - took place over the weekend.  Alex Daw has written a brilliant summing up of the conference on her blog Family Tree Frog  so I don't have to - thanks Alex. It was great to catch up in person with some of my blogging genie friends - putting a face to a name - sharing stories - gossiping of course and just catching up with people. It makes all the hard work being part of the organising committee worth while when it all come together.

Another challenge that I have undertaken is a One-Name Study on my Proverbs family. This is all thanks to Helen Smith and her encouragement so it was wonderful to have the opportunity to chat with Helen about what to include and what not to include. Do I include the children of a Proverbs mother married to a Walcott? Do I follow them further etc? The takeaway message from Helen was it is up to me to decide and that future researchers would possibly appreciate my research. So with that clarity - it's up to me - off I go on the Proverbs name. I haven't even thought of the possible variations yet - that's further along. 

I wonder if I will ever be able to prove or disprove the family myth that the two brothers, Thomas and Johannis were escaping Cromwell and opened their bible on the ship at Proverbs and decided that they would go by that name. Imagine if they opened the bible at Deutoromeny or Ecclesiastes? Wish me luck!


2 comments:

  1. Great you enjoyed the conference. I enjoyed the sessions I attended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awesome to meet you Helen! The conference was great and I thoroughly enjoyed the sessions I went to. I'm doing my write up now - had to prioritize a few job applications due this week.

    ReplyDelete