Saturday 16 April 2016

L is for Douglas LAWRENCE Poulson and Loloma #AtoZChallenge 2016


My theme for the AtoZChallenge is exploring the Walker family . Thinking about the family I realised that they were around in Mackay, Queensland in the early days of settlement so I have decided to discover some snippets of early Mackay as it relates to this family and others in my family tree. I hope you enjoy the journey.


Douglas Lawrence (Doug) Poulson was my 2nd cousin twice removed and the third son of Powell (Paul) Poulson and Florence Elizabeth Walker. Doug was born on 17th February 1913 in Mackay. I have not been able to find a marriage for Doug and believe that he did not marry.
Doug appears in the Daily Mercury [1] on Saturday 13 March 1926 with a severe and painful accident, I wonder what this was?



He must have recovered as there are numerous accounts in the Mercury of Doug winning prizes for cycling and being part of a winning cricket team.

Doug died on the 4th June 1975 in Mackay.

Now for Loloma...

Loloma [2] is a siding named by the Railway Department on 20 November 1914. It is a Fijian word meaning "favour", however it is not recorded whether it was named after this meaning.


Loloma is south of Mackay,near Sarina and the township of Koumala. Trove supplies us with many mentions of Loloma noted in the Daily Mercury [3] traveling by train no doubt.


I wonder what life was like in 1915, during WWI, I imagine picnics and the like were welcome distractions. Simple pleasures. I have very fond memories of family picnics when I was a child and often reminisce about those times.


[1] 1926 'DISTRICT NEWS.', Daily Mercury (Mackay, Qld. : 1906 - 1954), 13 March, p. 2. , viewed 14 Apr 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article168807966
[2]  http://www.mackayhistory.org/research/placenames/placenames.htmlHistorical Review of Koumala and District 1859-1974
[3] 1915 'FRIENDLY SOCIETIES' DAY.', Daily Mercury (Mackay, Qld. : 1906 - 1954), 16 September, p. 6. , viewed 16 Apr 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article175030443

No comments:

Post a Comment