Tuesday 19 April 2016

P is for Powell Poulson and Palmyra #AtoZChallenge 2016

My theme for the AtoZChallenge is exploring the Walker family . Thinking about the family I realised that they were around in Mackay, Queensland in the early days of settlement so I have decided to discover some snippets of early Mackay as it relates to this family and others in my family tree. I hope you enjoy the journey.



This post is about Powell (Paul) Poulson and Palmyra and they are connected. Powell Poulson was the second husband of Florence Elizabeth Walker, who he married on the 17th June 1904 probably in Mackay. The couple had seven children, four girls, and three boys. 
At one time the Poulson's operated the Marian Bakery and General Store before moving to Mt Pelion to farm.

Now for the connection to Palmyra ...

Hugh McCready established the Palmyra Plantation in 1879 on 550 acres on Bakers Creek. Hugh McCready bought more land and doubled the size of the plantation.

Parish of Greenmount map showing portion 92 which was part of McCready's selection for the Palmyra plantation.  The Palmyra mill was located towards the eastern section of this portion.  The rest of the plantation extended to the south of portion 92.
In 1881, McCready began importing machinery for a sugar mill and the mill began crushing in 1883.
Palmyra Sugar Mill (Source: Mackay Historical Society Archive No. 85-318h)
Now for the connection to the Walker family and the Antoney family. Hugh McCready's third son Lionel Campbell McCready married Daisy Elizabeth Antoney (my great great aunt) on the 3rd May 1911 at Holy Trinity Church Mackay. Daisy was the second daughter of Joseph Antoney and Elizabeth Hanna Young - Mary Jane Young sister. So Daisy was Mary Jane's niece and Florence Elizabeth's first cousin. 

My grandmother, Dorothy May, often talked about her Aunty Daisy and Uncle Lionel and visits to Palmyra. In fact, I have just found a report of Daisy's wedding in the Daily Mercury of 4th May 1911 and discovered that my grandmother was a bridesmaid.  You can read a description of her dress below.

1911 'McCREADY--ANTONEY.', Daily Mercury (Mackay, Qld. : 1906 - 1954), 4 May, p. 6. , viewed 19 Apr 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article172439749

I wonder if the Walker family were there? I can't imagine that they weren't present can you? Unfortunately, the very informative reporting of the wedding didn't include guests so I will just have to wonder.

1 comment:

  1. How I love the detailed description of the bridesmaid's dress.. I've collected a few re my family as well. Even better, knowing your grandmother as a young girl.
    What a pity they didn't give a list of the guests as well...

    ReplyDelete