Monday 16 March 2015

Fearless Females - March 16 - lunch

Blogging prompt for March 16 - lunch with a female member or any famous female, who would it be and why?

Florence Nightingale - Wikipedia
I thought about this for quite a while and decided that the female I would like to have lunch with is Florence Nightingale. Yes, dear reader, Florence Nightingale. Why choose this famous person you ask?  For a few reasons; firstly I have a number of nurses in my family, and I am a nurse as well. Secondly I think Florence must have had great strength of will to carry out her nursing and other duties. My son tells me I am stubborn just like his grandmother, and I tell him she got her stubbornness from her mother.

To sit down to lunch with Florence would be amazing. We could swap ridiculous nursing stories, like the time I put the dirty linen down the incinerator chute. The time, with another senior nurse, I played a practical joke on the junior nurses' dormitory  ordering them to carry their mattresses down to the front foyer of the Nurses' Home for fumigation.  I'm sure Florence would appreciate the need for fumigation. Surely Florence would have some equally if not more amusing tales to tell.

Now for somewhere to meet for lunch. I think coming to Australia would be an adventure for her so let's think what we could provide as food. I don't think kangaroo or crocodile would appeal; it doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps fresh seafood? The date is in September, the beginning of Spring, so the weather should be okay and not excessively hot. The venue would be George's Paragon Seafood Resturant at Eagle Street Pier, Brisbane.

We would eat fresh local seafood for lunch. Perhaps seafood marinara, spaghetti, prawns, scallops, mussels, barramundi, calamari, napolitana, garlic, cream and share a greek salad. Over coffee and dessert, Pavlova, we would continue gossipping and sharing stories. I would enjoy bringing Florence up to date with modern nursing and wonder at her tales of the Victorian era.

A most enjoyable lunch. Did you know that there is a Florence Nightingale Museum in the grounds of St Thomas' Hospital  in London? I will certainly be gooing there when I am next in London.



No comments:

Post a Comment